Ceramic knives can be a great addition to any kitchen. They are affordable, sharp, and extremely hard. Ceramic knives are a newer addition to kitchen cutlery so it’s normal to wonder if there is a place for both ceramic and steel knives. The biggest question when it comes to having ceramic knives in your kitchen is, will they last? This article will go into everything you need to know about ceramic knives and whether they are worth your investment. This post will explore the best ceramic knives and which sets are worth buying as we continue our quest for the best knife set.
Best Ceramic Knife Set Reviews
- 3-inch Paring
- 4.5-Inch Utility
- 5.5-Inch Santoku
- 7-inch chef’s
- Made from Kyocera very own proprietary Black zirconia material produced in Japan for exceptional quality and beauty
- Advanced ceramic blades that will maintain their edge up to 10x longer than steel blades
- Easy to clean
- Unique block holds firmly 6-8 knives
Best Ceramic Knife Set: Kyocera 5 Piece with Block
- 7″ Chefs
- 5.5″ Santoku
- 4.5″ Utility knife
- 3″ Paring knife
- Sleek knife block
Kyocera 5 piece knife set review
This is a high-quality ceramic knife set. The Kyocera 5 piece set looks amazing and comes with a beautiful-looking knife block that would look great on your kitchen countertop.
These high-quality ceramic knives are produced in Japan and have exceptional quality. The advanced ceramic blades are lightweight and can stay sharp 10 times longer than a steel blade. The blades will not brown or rust and can be used on fruits, vegetables, and meats. They come with a warranty and are easy to clean.
Kyocera Revolution Series 3 piece ceramic knife set Review
- 6″ Chefs knife
- 5″ Serrated knife
- 3″ Paring knife
Review of Kyocera advanced ceramics – Revolution Series 3 piece knife set
This is a great ceramic knife set at an even better price. These knives are super sharp, and the contrasting white blade and the black handle look great. They are lightweight knives that are rust-proof and resistant to acids making them retain their look and sharp edges longer.
These knives are made in Japan and come with an ergonomic handle that is light and feels good in your hand for easy cutting. You have to see the video of these knives cutting to get just how sharp they are.
Kyocera Ceramic 3-Piece Slicing Knife Set
- 5-inch Chef knife style slicer
- 4.5-inch utility
- 3-inch paring
Review of Kyocera 3-piece slicing knife set
If you want to try out some ceramic knives but don’t need the larger set mentioned above, this slicing set is a great buy. You get the same ergonomic black handle with the beautiful-looking white blades. The same sharpness and hard cutting knives, but these ones are meant for more of the slicing and dicing rather than the chopping you would do with a chef’s knife.
Vremi 10 Piece Colorful Knife Set
- 6″ Chef Knife with Sheath
- 6″ Carving Knife with Sheath
- 5″ Utility Knife with Sheath
- 4″ Fruit Knife with Sheath
- 3″ Paring knife
Review of Vremi 10 Piece Colorful Knife Set With Knife Sheaths
If you are looking for one of the best ceramic knife sets that have high reviews, you are looking at these Vremi ceramic knives. This set has everything a home cook will need. It comes with a few bonus items as well, like the ceramic peeler and protective sheaths. The comfort-grip handles also make this set a standout. At first, I was unsure about the coloring of the knives, but I found a use for them.
The knifes’ color coding can be a useful element if you do not want to worry about cross-contamination of foods or if you have someone with allergies in your household.
These sheaths are a key to the longevity of your ceramic knives because they will protect your blades when they are in the drawers with other sharp objects that can chip your ceramic knives. Add in a storage box that looks nice; this will make a perfect knife set for your home or as a nice housewarming gift for someone else.
Coiwin Ceramic Knife Set
- 6-inch Serrated Bread Knife
- 6-inch Chef Knife,
- 5-inch Utility Knife,
- 4 inch Fruit Knife
- 3.5-inch pairing knife
Coiwin 8 Piece Knife Set Review
This is another great set that checks all my boxes. Strong, durable, and comes with the sheaths to protect the knife and has a nice lightweight and feel to them for easy cutting. This set would be perfect for most people in their kitchen to handle most of their cutting needs.
Black Ceramic Knife Set Professional Knife With Sheaths
- 6-inch Chef’s Knife with Sheath
- 5-inch Utility Knife with Sheath
- 4 inch Fruit Knife with Sheath
- 3-inch Paring Knife with Sheath
Review of Black Ceramic Knife Set
This black ceramic set is stain-resistant and rust-proof. It comes with all the knives you would need in the kitchen and a sleek black gift box for storing them. Each knife also comes with its own sheath for proper storage. The handles have an anti-slip design and are designed to feel great in your hand.
This is a great alternative if you don’t care for the black and white look but prefer a more modern all-black look. These knives are very functional and get 4.5 stars out of 5 (read the reviews here). The affordable price is hard to beat as well. If you can find it under $30, you’ve got a great deal.
5 Piece Crepow Ceramic Knife Set with Stand
- 6″ Chef Knife with Sheath
- 5″ Utility Knife with Sheath
- 4″ Fruit Knife with Sheath
- 3″ Pairing Knife with Sheath
Review of Crepow Ceramic Knives
This Crepow ceramic set looks great and is incredibly affordable. Like all ceramic knives, they are durable, sharp, and lightweight. If you are looking to try a set of ceramic knives, this set has all that you will need, and it comes at a great price.
Cuisinart Ceramic Knife Set
- 5″ Santoku knife
- 3.5″ pairing knife
2 Piece Cuisinart Ceramic Knife Set Review:
If you are looking for an affordable 2 piece ceramic set, this will fit the bill nicely. This set combines the precision of a paring knife with the usefulness of a santoku blade (read our Santoku vs. Chef’s knife article here). Between these two knives, you can do most of the cutting in your kitchen. We dive deeper into this brand in our full Cuisinart knife review.
Best Ceramic Bread Knife: Cuisinart Ceramic Bread Knife
Review of Cuisinart ceramic bread knife
If you are looking for a bread knife that will last a long time and give you a good cut, the Cuisinart 7″ ceramic bread knife could be the answer for you. This knife is exactly what you need. The knife will retain its blade longer than other serrated bread knives, comes with a 5-year warranty, and comes with an ergonomic handle. Learn more about them in our Cuisinart Knives Review.
What is a ceramic knife?
Ceramic knives are exactly how they sound, a knife with a sharp ceramic blade. The ceramic blade is made from zirconium dioxide or zirconia. This makes them both tough and durable knives due to the ceramic material that they are made out of. They’re harder than steel and a few steps down from a diamond in their scale of hardness. These are the same zirconias that have been used as fake diamonds in jewelry.
How are ceramic knives made?
Ceramic knives are made by dry pressing the zirconia powder into a knife shape and then firing them later on. The blade of the knife will be grinded for sharpening purposes with a diamond-dusted coated grinding wheel.
Pros and cons of ceramic knives
It’s important that you know before you buy a ceramic knife what the pros and cons of ceramic knives truly are. There are several features that you should not ignore.
Pros of ceramic knives
- Hardness – ceramic knives are much harder knives than their steel knife counterparts. They register an 8.5 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness compared to steel, which is 4.5 to 8 depending on whether the steel is hardened.
- Sharpness – the diamond cut makes these razor-sharp blades, and ceramic knives stay sharp longer.
- Durable – if treated properly, the ceramic knife blade will last a very long time and retain its sharp edge longer than steel will
- Lightweight – these knives are much lighter than their stainless steel knife cousins. This makes the knives really nice and light in your hand.
- No corrosion – Unlike stainless steel blades, ceramic knives do not corrode or oxidize.
- Affordable – you can buy a full ceramic knife set for the price of a chef knife under $100.
Cons of ceramic knives
- Only one cutting motion – This surprised me because ceramic blades can only go up and down. They can’t move from side to side. Doing such a movement can chip the ceramic blade edge, forcing you to get it resharpened.
- Sharpening Ceramic Knives is Difficult – Unlike steel knives, you cannot use a regular honing rod to sharpen these knives. To sharpen ceramic knives you will need to send the knives out to a sharpening specialist for them to do the sharpening for you.
- Look – Personally, the look of ceramic knives is not as nice as a stainless steel-looking knife (or I just prefer shiny things). I would take a nice-looking Wusthof knife or Cangshan knife over them any day.
- Lack of flexibility – As with most other ceramic things, they are not nearly as flexible as stainless steel knives. In fact, they do not bend at all; this is also a reason why they chip if you’re cutting motion is not directly up and down, you can damage the blade of the knife.
- No dense material – Using a ceramic knife to cut into frozen food or bones will cause it to chip or snap.
- Breakage – if you are to drop a ceramic knife, it could chip depending on the floor type and what happens.
- Storage – Because of their rigidness, you need to be careful storing them and make sure they are in their sleeve so that they don’t chip.
- Use of force – Several reviews we saw indicate that the knives required more force to cut than higher-quality metal knives, like these chef knives under $200
- Use the right cutting board – Because they can only be used on a wood cutting board or a silicone cutting board because they can chip. Never use them on glass or tile.
Best Ceramic Knife FAQ
Are ceramic knives good?
Yes, they are good. Ceramic knives are extremely sharp and very durable, which makes them great knives. The drawback of this knife material is that you can only go in one cutting motion, and if any damage happens to the knife, such as it falling or chipping it anyway, it will need to be resharpened by a specialist. To do that, you must send it away. This makes it less enticing, but if you are able to properly maintain these knives, they can last you a very long time and serve you well.
Need a carving knife? Check out the 10 Best Electric Knives perfect for carving!
What should you use ceramic knives on?
The knives are perfect for slicing fruits, cutting vegetables, and boneless meat. They shouldn’t be used to cut bones or on frozen foods. They should only be used on wood or plastic cutting boards, never on glass or tile.
Are ceramic knives expensive?
Ceramic knives are super affordable! In fact, the majority of knives we reviewed were more affordable than their stainless steel counterparts. This is because the knives are lighter and easier to make. If you are looking to make an addition to your knife set at home, ceramic knives are an affordable way to add to that.
Check out these parts of knife anatomy to sharpen your knife knowledge.
Is a ceramic knife dishwasher safe?
Ceramic knives are dishwasher safe. However, it is best to clean them by hand and patting them dry with a towel, since putting them in and out of the dishwasher can result in the blade chipping. When the blade is damaged, it doesn’t cut nearly as well. It’s best to hand wash them and be careful drying them as they are much sharper than a steel blade.
Is it worth investing in a full ceramic knife set?
Having a full set of ceramic knives can be a good investment if you are prepared to use them the way they were designed and maintain them. If you are the kind of person, who likes to chop and move things around from side to side with a knife, these knives are probably not the best choice for you.
Why consider a ceramic kitchen knife?
The reason for considering a ceramic kitchen knife would be the lightweight and sharpness of the knife itself. These knives are sharper than many stainless steel knives. Ceramic knives retain their cutting edge longer as well if properly maintained, plus they are lighter and do not oxidize. This gives them the ability to keep their original look longer than other kitchen knives.
Where can you buy ceramic knives?
You can buy ceramic knives in many places. All the items listed here are available on Amazon, many with prime free shipping. If you have a Visa gift card and want to redeem it on Amazon, these knives would be the perfect thing to buy.
Should you buy ceramic knives?
After going through all the examples and evidence, ceramic knives definitely have a place in some kitchens. However due to their nature and ability to break if not used correctly you will want to make sure that you’re cooking and cutting style is compatible with these knife style.
Final thoughts on the best ceramic knives
Ceramic knives can be a great addition to your kitchen and help you with cutting, mincing, and dicing your fruits and vegetables. They are a great addition to any kitchen. The price of them is very affordable, and the fact that they are more durable and sharper than steel knives definitely earns them a place in anyone’s kitchen. Ultimately, we love the Kyocera ceramic knives and would welcome them in our kitchen any day.